A very valuable lesson!

 

I had decided not to make any post today, it is after all Wednesday. But we had just woken up from a little nap and were on our way out when Sune suddenly screamed out of pain! He didn’t stop either, he just continued for a long time.

 

 

 

Neither I nor any dogs were close to him and at first I just couldn’t understand what it was, he ran away and hid and just kept on screaming. That was when I found the wasp on the floor. It wasn’t dead yet and tried to get up from the floor again, it looked as if it had been chewed on.

 

It takes only one puppy to tangle them all together🙂

 

 

I put a heavy pot on the wasp and then I brought Sune to the light. I couldn’t find any swelling anywhere but he was definitely feeling bad and suddenly I lost contact with him! I live to far away from any vet so I was prepared for the worst. But he could breathe so I guess it was just the shock and pain that sort of made him unreachable for a while.

 

 

 

But it turned and now he’s back to normal again, I will keep an eye on him because he had some problems eating a treat for a while. He’s lucky that nothing worse happened on his first close contact with a wasp and this has been a valuable lesson, now he won’t even try to chase beetles🙂

 

 

Have a great day!

20 thoughts on “A very valuable lesson!

    • Hi Debby!

      At first I just didn’t understand what had happened. But I calmed down as soon as I saw that he had no problems breathing.
      I think the poor wasp got rather surprised as well🙂🙂🙂

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

    • Hi Joyce!

      Yes I felt so sorry for him. But now I hope he has learned that it isn’t healthy to eat insects, especially not wasps🙂🙂
      I’m allergic to but only in the way that I get nasty swollen, thankfully I never have any other problems if getting stung.

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

  1. Hi Christer,
    Poor Sune. Guess that’ll teach him not to eat random bugs. Or maybe not. My old dog Tegan would go after bumble bees all the time even though they had stung her in the mouth before. Jack Russells: no brain, no pain.
    Have some doggy Benadryl on hand just in case. Rocky got stung on the foot but I didn’t see what happened and thought he had injured it. He was hopping around, 3-legged lame. I took him to the vet and he couldn’t find anything. An hour later Rocky’s face swelled up so back to the vet we went. Apparently Rocky is allergic to bee venom.

    • Hi Caryn!
      At least right now he tends to avoid insects🙂🙂

      I once had a dog that dug up a bumblebee nest and I counted 42 bumps only on her head after that🙂🙂🙂 But she happily chased them after that anyway🙂

      I’ll keep my eyes on Sune for quite some time, I’ve heard that it can take some time until a reaction starts sometimes. I think this is the first time since the bumblebee incident over twenty five years ago that any of my dogs have been stung, but they have been bitten by the only poisonous snake we have here, the Adder (or viper) a couple of times.

      I’ll check what Benadryl might be called here so I can have some here at home just in case!

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

  2. usch vad otäckt! Vet ju precis hur det är eftersom Penny blev getingstungen i munnen när vi var ute på en ö i skärgården och vi fick ta – dyr – taxibåt till fastlandet. Väl framme vid hamnen och vår bil, så var hon sitt gamla jag igen. Men hon lärde sig aldrig! Hon fortsatte jaga alla flygfän, även getingar!!😦

    • Hejsan Susie!

      Ja det är riktigt otrevligt, men skit samma vad det kostar bara man hinner fram i tid. Men visst är det typiskt när de plötsligt mår alldeles utmärkt igen🙂🙂🙂

      Vissa lär sig aldrig man får bara hoppas att de inte lyckas fånga någon igen🙂🙂🙂

      Ha det gott!
      Christer.

  3. I feel terrible for you and Sune, that must have been very scary and worrying.

    The tangled foursome is a great photo!

    • Hi Robin!

      Yes the poor boy just didn’t understand what had happened. But I do hope he will connect pain with insects so he won’t do this again, but I’m pretty sure he won’t🙂

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

  4. Men lille plutten:( Så synd om honom, vilken himla tur att det inte blev värre. Otäckt dock att han blev okontaktbar, vilken himla tur att det hände nu och inte när du börjat att jobba! Ha det gott/Monne

    • Tjänare Monne!
      Ja hen blev ju både rädd och fick ont den stackaren.
      Ja det var otrevligt när han inte reagerade alls men det gick över ganska så fort, jag tror mest att det helt enkelt blev lite för mycket på en gång där.

      Nu gäller det ju bara att han fattar att vissa insekter gör redigt ont🙂

      Ha det gott!
      Christer.

  5. So glad to read that Sune is OK, Christer. Wasp are the one insect that send me running as I am really scared of them and I suspect they can sense that as well because it seems they will always head in my direction. This summer, I have even had a couple get in my car and luckily I was NOT driving at the time and able to get them out, always handy to have a cloth shopping bag in the car to swat insects! What a way to start your day. Sune looked to be getting a lot of loving from the other dogs today.

    • Hi Beatrice!

      I can’t say I love to have them close🙂🙂🙂 and to get them in to the car while driving is awful🙂 But I know how much use they do in nature so I try to just stay away as good as I can🙂

      The other dogs do take care of him even if they don’t show joy when he is in their face🙂🙂🙂

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

  6. I agree, keep some Benadryl on hand. I’d talk with your vet if I were you but –
    The correct Benadryl dosage for dogs is dependant on the dog’s body weight. Generally, you can use 1 mg of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) per 1 lb of the dog’s weight. E.g., if you have a dog that weighs 50 pounds, you can use 50 mg of Diphenhydramine every 8 hours.

    There is an alternative method to determine the dosage dependant on your dog’s weight:
    1.Up to 30 lb dogs – 10 mg of Benadryl per 8 hours;
    2.30-50 lbs dogs – 25 mg of Benadryl per 8 hrs;
    3.50 lbs and over – 50 mg of Benadryl per 8 hours.
    I completely understand how you must have felt. Sometimes when I think about quitting my job, I think how lucky I am that I can usually call my vet and run my pet into the clinic for treatment. Just the other day Twinkle kept crying out in pain everytime she tried to move her neck. I took her into work with me that morning and was able to stop Doc before he headed out to do Chiropractic work on some horses. He adjusted her neck, had the techs do a laser treatment on her and gave her 1/2 a pain pill. And she was all better….
    yeah, I don’t see me quitting for a very long time.

    I’m SO glad that Sune was OK. But I’d definitely check into getting some Benadryl.

    • Hi Cindi!
      Yes I’ll ask the vet but the problem is that it most likely has another name on this side of the ocean🙂 I can’t for my life understand why they change names on medicines when selling them in other countries.

      It is stressful and since I wouldn’t get to a vet in time I did what I always do when they are bitten by wasps or snakes, just sit down where it happened and keep them as calm as possible. A fast beating heart spreads any venom too quickly so it’s always best to just calm down. My biggest worry was that he was stung in the tongue or throat.
      Now he’s up and running like nothing has happened🙂

      Yes there are horses in the Olympics🙂 Soon they’ll start the jumping competition too.

      It has it’s advantages working for a vet🙂

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

  7. Christer,
    Oh my God! I can only image your panic, especially hearing his scream of pain. You’ve gotten great advice about keeping the Benadryl on hand. I think some dogs are slow learners!

    I am lucky as an emergency 24 hour vet is about 5 minutes from here. I had to take my Maggie there when her cardiomyopathy made it difficult for her to breath.

    I’m glad Sune is okay!!!!!!!

    • Hi Kat!

      Not so much panic actually, more confusion to why he was screaming like that. But sort of when I tried to find out if he had been stung in his mouth or throat. I’ll check what Benadryl might be called over here, I’ve never heard of it before.

      It will take at least 25 minutes to a vet here and by then he would most probably already be gone if he had been stung so he couldn’t breather. That’s one of the few things that isn’t good here.

      I’m glad he is too🙂

      Have a great day!
      Christer.

    • Hi Z&M!

      So far I’ve been very fortunate with my dogs when it comes to biting dangerous things. My first one chewed on an electric cable and then peed on it🙂🙂🙂 She never chewed on things indoors after that and she never peed either🙂🙂🙂

      have a great day!
      Christer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: